Is my pc infected? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is my pc infected?

Default Re: Is my pc infected?

I am not saying you to use both Avira and Avast at one time. I gave link to both because both are equally good for me so take your pick.
    Popular Gadget Deals
    In war, Victory. In peace, Vigilance. In death, Sacrifice.

SteamID, Origin ID, Raptr, FB, Desura - Gameranand

Quote Originally Posted by Shashank Joshi View Post
    Are they all free or paid.. And if paid then cost for single user?? MLTB??
    I have never paid a penny to any Av companies in my life ( well i started using using a Pentium 100 Mhz Cpu in the year 1997) and i don't understand why people pay to Av companies, nobody is safe from a virus infection( read as zero day attack) even if you use the highly priced Av software. then why pay use free ones.I know there are so may of you who will vouch for the paid av software, but just think how many of you will risk running a known zero day infected file in your system with absolute confidence that your paid Av soft will stop the infection with out causeing damage?
    All Comodo products (except the one which comes with 500$ zero infection guaranty) are free.Comodo internet Security 2013 comes with a built in Virtual space where you can run any malware/infected files safely. Check it out if you wish

direct download
    Dell inspiron 15R special edition with core i7. Nexus 4 . Fiio E17. Sennheiser HD 650.Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.Koss Pro Dj 100.SIGNATURE ACOUSTICS C-12 Elements.

Quote Originally Posted by josin View Post
    I have never paid a penny to any Av companies in my life ( well i started using using a Pentium 100 Mhz Cpu in the year 1997) and i don't understand why people pay to Av companies, nobody is safe from a virus infection( read as zero day attack) even if you use the highly priced Av software. then why pay use free ones.I know there are so may of you who will vouch for the paid av software, but just think how many of you will risk running a known zero day infected file in your system with absolute confidence that your paid Av soft will stop the infection with out causeing damage?
    All Comodo products (except the one which comes with 500$ zero infection guaranty) are free.Comodo internet Security 2013 comes with a built in Virtual space where you can run any malware/infected files safely. Check it out if you wish

direct download
    Yeah its called Sandbox. Avast have that too.

And you sure that moving from Norton Internet Security + MSE to these three will be a good option?? Which one of these should be used as the primary anti-virus for scans??
    Yeah I am pretty much sure. Avast or Avira (depending on your decision) will be used for primary Virus Scans.

Ok.. Downloaded Avast, MLTB and Comodo.. i hope they work fine..
    Hope for Courage, Try for Honor!!

Sage of the Six Paths

Quote Originally Posted by gameranand View Post
    Here
    Avast AntiVirus
    MalwareBytes
    Comodo Firewall
    Avira AntiVirus

If you need extra protection then you can get Spybot Search & Destroy as well.

You see if you are smart enough then you don't have to pay for any software and don't have to pirate them as well. Just use the best freewares, combine them and you got a complete security solution.
    What's the use? I have been using Eset Smart Security for years now. There is a way you can get 4 months free trial..

P.S. You can even avoid using any type of antivirus by being careful on the internet. I don't remember the last time I downloaded a virus. Usually I get viruses from connecting others pendrives.

Human Spambot

@josin,zero day viruses/exploits are very costly/effective aka kind of like nukes & you don't use nukes against local street gangs now,do you?zero day attacks are targeted towards highly valuable targets like govt installations(or in case of China,Dalai Lama offices ),fortune 500 companies etc & there is almost zero chance that people like you or me will ever see a zero day virus/exploit.

always keep your OS updated along with java(better uninstall it unless absolutely necessary),flash(try to use only on trusted site with default behaviour as blocked),MS office & adobe acrobat(my advice ditch it altogether & use sumatra pdf).if you don't do this then no AV can help you.

now-a-days you don't need to download viruses.simply open a page(& i mean just open,no clicks etc) & if your system has some vulnerability(like those i mentioned above) your pc will get infected by an almost untraceable rootkit.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Quote Originally Posted by rajnusker View Post
    What's the use? I have been using Eset Smart Security for years now. There is a way you can get 4 months free trial..

P.S. You can even avoid using any type of antivirus by being careful on the internet. I don't remember the last time I downloaded a virus. Usually I get viruses from connecting others pendrives.
    Well I don't like Trial softwares. Also the combination I gave is lightest on the resources + very small updates. They are like install and forget, though Firewall will always bother you, but that should be the case with Firewall.
    As for careful surfing, if you just visit some particular sites then its alright but for me its not, because I visit some new site everyday and I don't know whether its really safe or not. Why take risk then.

Quote Originally Posted by whitestar_999 View Post
    @josin,zero day viruses/exploits are very costly/effective aka kind of like nukes & you don't use nukes against local street gangs now,do you?zero day attacks are targeted towards highly valuable targets like govt installations(or in case of China,Dalai Lama offices ),fortune 500 companies etc & there is almost zero chance that people like you or me will ever see a zero day virus/exploit.

always keep your OS updated along with java(better uninstall it unless absolutely necessary),flash(try to use only on trusted site with default behaviour as blocked),MS office & adobe acrobat(my advice ditch it altogether & use sumatra pdf).if you don't do this then no AV can help you.

now-a-days you don't need to download viruses.simply open a page(& i mean just open,no clicks etc) & if your system has some vulnerability(like those i mentioned above) your pc will get infected by an almost untraceable rootkit.
    Exactly. Though MS updates are not really necessary for me, I do the work around and make do.

Human Spambot

^^only install MS windows security updates.they are only ~10-15mb at most released once a month(between 10-15th of the month).in absence of these updates your pc is at risk.e.g."some of this vulnerabilities can allow unauthenticated remote users to take control of your pc"(MS own description) which essentially means anyone on internet can hack your pc using this vulnerability.these are the must have fixes which need to be applied.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Here
    Avast AntiVirus
    MalwareBytes
    Comodo Firewall
    Avira AntiVirus

If you need extra protection then you can get Spybot Search & Destroy as well.

You see if you are smart enough then you don't have to pay for any software and don't have to pirate them as well. Just use the best freewares, combine them and you got a complete security solution.
    This was good earlier, new version is a mess, to configure or to use, can't catch a thing, I thing the scan engine is broken,, MBAM works better.
    Project Halcyon V3 - 2600k, Z68Vpro, Sapphire R9280X DualX, Vengeance 8GB
    Dell Inspiron 15R N5520- i3 3110M @ 2.4GHz, 6GB 1600MHz DDR3, HD 7670M
    Project Odeon V2 - LG G2, Panasonic FZ150, Razer Ferox, Razer Deathadder

MBAM is best malware killer..
    and combine it with a good av, and your pc is well protected against most of the viruses out there...
    DELL Inspiron 15R TURBO: | Intel Core i7-3612QM | AMD Radeon HD 7730M 2GB | 8 GB DDR3 RAM 1600mhz | 1TB HDD | Backlit Keyboard | Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Accessories: SoundMagic E10, PL21 IEM's, Philips SHP8900, Sansa ClipZip | Altec Lansing VS2621 2.1 | TP-Link WR740n | WD Elements SE 3.0 1TB | Nexus 5 32GB
    Join FB group for all Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo users here: http://goo.gl/aN2Sr

Right Off the Assembly Line

I don't think if one anti virus is available then what us the use of other antiviruse.

MBAB?? I just dont the hang of the abbreviations..

Just google them buddy.

Finally, what would be the best anti-malware combination??

Finally, what would be the best anti-malware combination??
    I'd always suggest: Avast Free+COMODO Firewall(firewall only, no defense+)+MBAM+Virustotal Uploader(optional)

MBAM bro, not MBAB..
    MBAM: MalwareBytes AnitMalware.
    And a tkin suggested, pair it with avast or avira, and you'll be good to go, i have KIS+MBAM in my lappy..
    DELL Inspiron 15R TURBO: | Intel Core i7-3612QM | AMD Radeon HD 7730M 2GB | 8 GB DDR3 RAM 1600mhz | 1TB HDD | Backlit Keyboard | Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Accessories: SoundMagic E10, PL21 IEM's, Philips SHP8900, Sansa ClipZip | Altec Lansing VS2621 2.1 | TP-Link WR740n | WD Elements SE 3.0 1TB | Nexus 5 32GB
    Join FB group for all Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo users here: http://goo.gl/aN2Sr

Quote Originally Posted by ratul View Post
    MBAM bro, not MBAB..
    MBAM: MalwareBytes AnitMalware.
    And a tkin suggested, pair it with avast or avira, and you'll be good to go, i have KIS+MBAM in my lappy..
    That was a typo..

Yeah its called Sandbox. Avast have that too.

Bet you haven't seen this virtual kiosk.jpg....Its an advance form of sandbox (kind of ...like you can call a maruti 800 and a Bugatti Veyron as CARs but the similarity end there)

No..... A Zero day virus is a previously unknown computer virus or other malware for which specific antivirus software signatures are not yet available. It not only targets big corps buy you too...Google it and you can find some websites where you can download zero day threats( you can even visit live malware websites too), and if you know how to use vmware you can test them with your Av soft. Once you have done that and seen those live malware websites you can understand that they are not targeting high value customers but normal people.
    you are not getting my point i think. Updating your OS wont ensure protection either since no OS is perfect and that why there are updates. Its a fact that Av soft wares alone cant protect you, that why we people uses multi-layered security softs( aka av+firewall+sanbox+ signature detection etc)
    and my point was there is no sense in paying to Av companies, use free ones instead. The free ones offer equal or more protection than the paid ones.
    Last edited by josin; 05-02-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Dell inspiron 15R special edition with core i7. Nexus 4 . Fiio E17. Sennheiser HD 650.Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.Koss Pro Dj 100.SIGNATURE ACOUSTICS C-12 Elements.

how do i get the full version of MBAM?? The one whose link is there is a trial one for 13 days...

Human Spambot

^^that is a very limited & misleading definition of zero-day exploit.a zero-day exploit is not dependent on anti-virus software definition update but the vulnerability in program/OS.here is a link for you about the infamous zero-day java exploit:
    Zero-Day Java vulnerability wreaks havoc on computers worldwide | Malwarebytes Unpacked
    it is called zero-day because it is the 1st instance of this exploit.as soon as it is released on web it becomes known & loses its zero-day definition.note that oracle released a patch for this exploit within 72 hours after it it is first known on web.
    also read this:
    Another Java Zero-Day Vulnerability Hits Black Market - Security -
    What does a starting price of $5,000 buy? "The hacker forum admin's message ... promised weaponized and source code versions of the exploit. This seller also said his Java 0day -- in the latest version of Java (Java 7 Update 11) -- was not yet part of any exploit kits," said Krebs.
    & that is just the starting bid & considering that even $10000 exploit packs didn't have this exploit at that time you can easily guess what would be the selling price of this exploit(at least $20000 or more in my opinion).now tell me if you have acquired such an exploit after spending this much amount of money & know that after releasing it on web it will get fixed within 48-72 hours who would you use it against.some ordinary joe doing one or two few hundred $ transactions in a week or some fortune 500 company/investment firm doing million $ transactions daily on their pc systems.

those sites you mention from where you can download "zero-day" virus/exploits are nothing but gimmick.like i said above zero-day is useless once it is released on web within a few hours.no professional hacker worth his/her salt will even visit those so called sites supplying "zero-day" viruses.these zero-day exploits go for thousands of $ on such underground message boards/forums that none of us had or will ever be able to even visit.stop thinking too much & just use the real world common sense.no one is going to use a team of navy seals to kidnap you if you are a mere mortal who does not possess critical state secrets.if you are an average joe & keep your pc updated with all os/java/flash etc patches & a good free antivirus like avast & doesn't click on random links promising $5 iphone you will be safe.

^^that is a very limited & misleading definition of zero-day exploit.a zero-day exploit is not dependent on anti-virus software definition update but the vulnerability in program/OS.here is a link for you about the infamous zero-day java exploit:
    Zero-Day Java vulnerability wreaks havoc on computers worldwide | Malwarebytes Unpacked
    it is called zero-day because it is the 1st instance of this exploit.as soon as it is released on web it becomes known & loses its zero-day definition.note that oracle released a patch for this exploit within 72 hours after it it is first known on web.
    also read this:
    Another Java Zero-Day Vulnerability Hits Black Market - Security -

& that is just the starting bid & considering that even $10000 exploit packs didn't have this exploit at that time you can easily guess what would be the selling price of this exploit(at least $20000 or more in my opinion).now tell me if you have acquired such an exploit after spending this much amount of money & know that after releasing it on web it will get fixed within 48-72 hours who would you use it against.some ordinary joe doing one or two few hundred $ transactions in a week or some fortune 500 company/investment firm doing million $ transactions daily on their pc systems.

those sites you mention from where you can download "zero-day" virus/exploits are nothing but gimmick.like i said above zero-day is useless once it is released on web within a few hours.no professional hacker worth his/her salt will even visit those so called sites supplying "zero-day" viruses.these zero-day exploits go for thousands of $ on such underground message boards/forums that none of us had or will ever be able to even visit.stop thinking too much & just use the real world common sense.no one is going to use a team of navy seals to kidnap you if you are a mere mortal who does not possess critical state secrets.if you are an average joe & keep your pc updated with all os/java/flash etc patches & a good free antivirus like avast & doesn't click on random links promising $5 iphone you will be safe.
    You are still missing the point. My point was only this. Why pay for av software if you can get better for free

The link for the full free version of MBAM and not the trial version???

how do i get the full version of MBAM?? The one whose link is there is a trial one for 13 days...
    Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer

And don't ask where to get the pro, it never works

The link for the full free version of MBAM and not the trial version???
    Up there.

This is the trial one.. Installed it in the morning and it says, "Trial-13 days remaining"..

Human Spambot

^^when you installed it did you click the "decline" button or "start trial" button when the message box came up asking "would you like to start the trial?".

@josin,actually you missed my point.my point was that zero day threats are almost never faced by normal users & for such users using a free AV like avast running updated with all os/java/flash patches etc is good enough.zero day attacks are almost infallible & no matter what security setup you use you will get infected/affected if hit by those hence their selling price of thousands of $.

This is the trial one.. Installed it in the morning and it says, "Trial-13 days remaining"..
    You chose the optional full version when installing, after 13 days it will revert back to standard.

Quote Originally Posted by tkin View Post
    You chose the optional full version when installing, after 13 days it will revert back to standard.
    So no need to uninstall and re-install in the standard format again??

So no need to uninstall and re-install in the standard format again??
    No. Its auto.

No. Its auto.
    You are a life saver brother..

Thanks everyone( tkin, josin)..

You are a life saver brother..

Thanks everyone( tkin, josin)..
    well if you have VMware, install an OS (9xp sp3/win7) on it install your favorite Av soft/internet security suite and live test malware/virus on it just like in this video and choose the best one by yourself.You will know How to get samples( do it just for testing)

^^when you installed it did you click the "decline" button or "start trial" button when the message box came up asking "would you like to start the trial?".

@josin,actually you missed my point.my point was that zero day threats are almost never faced by normal users & for such users using a free AV like avast running updated with all os/java/flash patches etc is good enough.zero day attacks are almost infallible & no matter what security setup you use you will get infected/affected if hit by those hence their selling price of thousands of $.
    google malwaredomainlist. Then you can find so many zero day viruses which are out there targeting common users

Edit: if the modes feel that i am providing information about dangerous websites please feel free to delete this post. My objective was only to provide the Op to find the best method to find out a better Av/security software by himself.
    Last edited by josin; 05-02-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast