Effect of Humidity on PC Components ?

Thread: Effect of Humidity on PC Components ?

Norms Buster

Arrow Effect of Humidity on PC Components ?

Many electronic devices have humidity specifications, for example, 5 to 95%. In a high humidity environment, condensation is prevalent which can have a negative impact on electronic devices. In a low humidity environment, electrostatic discharge occurs more readily, which also has a negative impact on electronics.

I've heard due to the Atmospheric humidity, computer monitors may appear to be blurred till they reach optimum temperature. Is that true ?

How will humidity affect other PC Components ?

What are the precautions to be taken ?
    Popular Gadget Deals

In The Zone

Default Re: Effect of Humidity on PC Components ?

Monitors do appear blurred initially when Humidity is very high, Consider when you boot computer for the 1st time on a Humid day.

i've lived at places wid real high humidity and rainz... and never ever been affected by these things! i've always laughed at people who are so paranoid abt this (unless of corz the humidity is extremely high...) and also at people who 'remove their shoes' to enter a 'computer room'!!!!

don't worry abt it... the degradation of life is neglible unless of corz the humidity is intolerable!
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

http://phoenix-ani.blogspot.com

In The Zone

Yeah rite removing shoes to enter a computer room is worst...[]
    But the Monitor thing do happens for me, but its okay within a minute or 2, so not a concern at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dabster
    But the Monitor thing do happens for me, but its okay within a minute or 2, so not a concern at all.
    regarding that.. tho i've never experienced it at all in all these years, i think some basic things can iron the problem out.

when u switch on a computer for the first time on a humid day, put on the fan (avoid the air conditioner!) for sometime and then observe whether the same happens.

Quote Originally Posted by dabster
    Yeah rite removing shoes to enter a computer room is worst...[]
    absolutely.. 'those' kind of people should be taken to my fren's room in hostel.. where its difficult to differentiate between the computer cabinet and the shoe rack!!
    Last edited by infra_red_dude; 13-07-2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

Ahem..
    When I sit in my room, with cooler switched on and I work on my PC, some small droplets of water appear on the VDU. But this has not in any way degraded my monitor. Its its () 7th year and its going strong.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0, XFX 650i ultra, XFX 8600GT 512MB, Seagate 320GB, Altec Lansing ATP3, 2x1GB 800MHz, 19" Viewsonic VA1912WB, LiteOn DVD burner, Logitech K/B, mouse, Amigo 500W PSU, Local Cabby.

in extremely high humidity ur pc may refuse to boot.. Happened wit me..

i had to change my lcd because of mother****ing humidity sorry i said this WORD but i had to
    Laptop :Lenovo Ideapad Y500(Intel Core i7 3632QM @2.2 GHz,Nvidia GT 650M 2GB DDR 5, 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz,1TB HDD,15.6" 1080p Screen )
    Mobiles: Apple iPhone 5 64 GB, Apple iPhone 4 32 GB, Apple iPad 3 64gb

well humidity had taken away my moniter last year (August).............and even now for a few days i was using another old monitor, and i used to see a blurry screen until the monitor temperature increased. so i can say this with experience.

and this year, the humidity has taken away from me my AGP 6200 graphics card and a 256 mb ram module........aah my sad story....

rooms with acs are generaly dry, so humidity isn't a prob
    Gaming: Phenom II x4 965BE @ 3.6Ghz/Corsair H50 Liquid Cooling/MSI 790FX-GD70/2x2GB GSkill Ripjaws 7-7-7-24/3 x GTX 470 w/Zalman VF3000F/Corsair 850W PSU/Antec 1200/2xSpinpoint F3 500Gb RAID 0

Wise Old Owl

Quote Originally Posted by xbonez
    rooms with acs are generaly dry, so humidity isn't a prob
    True, but once you switch off the AC and open the doors, there is likelihood and risk of moisture condensation on PCBs.
    V.Prem Kumar

Originally From : Ratlam M.P., Currently in: Hyderabad

In my friends case Humidity causes his PC to restart again and again until components becomes hot.
    World is just a Quizzical Reality : Quiz_Master//Ashwin

Blog: [URL="http://ashwinsaxena.com/blog"]http://ashwinsaxena.com/blog[/URL] - Tech, Life and Other Things.

ax3

monsoons r worst curse 4 pc`s ............
    ... W H O T ...

Arrow Re: Effect of Humidity on PC Components ?

My friend monitor turned red due to monsoon,but it became normal after 2-3 mins.I have never faced any problem.

Posting from Nokia 3230
    [B]ShutterTux - Photography, Linux & Life![/B] : http://shuttertux.wordpress.com

i'm really surprised by all the replies. i've been using computerz for the past 15 years.. yes.. that rite.. at my place.. since the dayz "a computer will catch virus if u wear ur shoes inside the room" dayz... i've been at places where humidity has been extreme... heavy rainfall places.. coastal areas everywhere... but my old 386 (complete set) still works like a charm!!! never ever haf i faced any problem due to humidity!!!

I WANT MORE FPS!! adithyagenius's Avatar

A computer near windows in an apartments on the seashore in south bombay can cause your computer parts to rust. I have seen the following get rusted.
    TV - Tuner cards (rust magnet)
    ATI Raedon 7500
    Lan Cards
    Geforce 6200 (I heard)
    Sound Blaste ! Live Value

But all the above were not mine. I also lived opposite to sea shore in south mumbai and following got rusted when not in use.
    My VGA port in the cabinet got rusted and so did my VGA plug of my monitor. But both are working working. My 56k Modem got rusted too.
    E8500+Asus P5Q Pro, GTX280 OC, 4GB RAM+RAID0 2*WD 500GB, CM690+Corsair 650TX, Razer Diamondback+Goliathus Control Edition Omega, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000, Dell E228WFP, X-Fi Titanium+T6060

humidity problems are supported by warrant so u guys better have warranty
    Laptop :Lenovo Ideapad Y500(Intel Core i7 3632QM @2.2 GHz,Nvidia GT 650M 2GB DDR 5, 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz,1TB HDD,15.6" 1080p Screen )
    Mobiles: Apple iPhone 5 64 GB, Apple iPhone 4 32 GB, Apple iPad 3 64gb

left this forum longback praka123's Avatar

@aditya: salt content may be the cause.i hv seen vehicles rust soon in coastal areas.
    left this forum long back.Admin Can Delete this Account and posts Permanantly.Thank You
    Get GNU/Linux - http://getgnulinux.org

Wise Old Owl

Quote Originally Posted by adithyagenius
    A computer near windows in an apartments on the seashore in south bombay can cause your computer parts to rust. I have seen the following get rusted.
    TV - Tuner cards (rust magnet)
    ATI Raedon 7500
    Lan Cards
    Geforce 6200 (I heard)
    Sound Blaste ! Live Value

But all the above were not mine. I also lived opposite to sea shore in south mumbai and following got rusted when not in use.
    My VGA port in the cabinet got rusted and so did my VGA plug of my monitor. But both are working working. My 56k Modem got rusted too.
    Yesterday I happened to see an advt of a firm undertaking AMCs and other works at Trivandrum. Their rates are in two categories. Near seacoast and away from coast. The AMC rates for seacoast are 50% more.

@praka123
    The resale value of vehicles from coastal areas are always lower.
    V.Prem Kumar