New HDD confusion

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: New HDD confusion

  1. #1
    Constructed New Rig..!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    211

    Default New HDD confusion

    Hello pals,

    I need total of 2TB of internal storage. To minimize risk of data loss in case of HDD failure i m considering 4 drives of 500GB.

    Already I m using WD blue 500 GB (september 2008purchase) and 1TB Green drive(april 2009 purchase). I m satisfied with Blue drive but Green drive is showing some jhols. It is detected in BIOS and can be seen when PC is started but in couple of mins it would disappear.
    Hence for now I need total 2TB of new HDD space.

    I need most reliable drives to avert data loss.

    Open to suggestions of different types. Few things might help while suggesting 1) Around 1200GB of data is used ocassionaly only and 2) For system drive I m having a 60GB SSD 3) In my mind image of WD is better than Seagate because I dint have to RMA WD drive in last 6-7 years, which might be just an illusion 4) In current product line of WD i m inclined towards WD Black drives but totally clueless of their reliability or failure rate.

    PS: in my mind I was thinking to get 4 x WD black 500GB drives but not able to find any.

    Any self experience with this type of situation will also be helpful.
    Popular Gadget Deals
    MacBook Air 13 2009|HP DV6-3057TX|955BE|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Kingston SSD 64GB|Seasonic S12II 620W|HD6970 aka unlocked Sapphire HD6950 2GB|NZXT Gamma|CM Hyper 212 EVO|Corsair Vengeance 8GB |WD Red 2TB|Dell ST2220L
    iPhone 4 32GB

  2. #2
    Human Spambot
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NCR
    Posts
    3,976

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    first of all in my opinion biggest factor when considering hdd reliability is luck.WD green series is not considered good by many but there are some people here who are running these drives fine for years without any issues.WD black is regarded as most reliable & performing but it is also costliest so WD Blue is a better & balanced option in terms of price & reliability.also again my personal opinion but i think it is better to buy hdd directly from seagate/WD official distributor(search their site) instead of buying from 3rd parties & especially online buying.reason is that hdd is a delicate machine so handling is very critical.official distributors get hdd's in specially packaged containers from company.from there it is then send to 3rd parties which may or may not handle them properly.in any case simple logic is more hands the hdd pass through(from factory to you) more will be the chance of mishandling.if you buy directly from official distributor then it minimizes such risks.also install crystaldisk info to continuously monitor your hdd & keep an eye on critical hdd values(like pending sector,reallocated sector & uncorrectable sector) because any change in these values indicates something is wrong with hdd.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

  3. #3
    Constructed New Rig..!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    I m open to spend bit more and get better reliability if WD Black drives actually provide same. For total of 2TB my budget could stretch as high as 13-14K
    MacBook Air 13 2009|HP DV6-3057TX|955BE|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Kingston SSD 64GB|Seasonic S12II 620W|HD6970 aka unlocked Sapphire HD6950 2GB|NZXT Gamma|CM Hyper 212 EVO|Corsair Vengeance 8GB |WD Red 2TB|Dell ST2220L
    iPhone 4 32GB

  4. #4
    Living to Play gameranand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Cyclone
    Posts
    11,468

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    Get a WD Black. They are very reliable and good performance also.
    In war, Victory. In peace, Vigilance. In death, Sacrifice.

    SteamID, Origin ID, Raptr, FB, Desura - Gameranand

  5. #5
    Right Off the Assembly Line
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    Yes WD black is very reliable HDD because it offers more durability then WD green.

    I also have WD black HDD & I am satisfied with its performance.

  6. #6
    Constructed New Rig..!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    Reliability is top requirement. I was thinking to RAID 2*WD AV-GP series 2TB drives for safety and no data-loss
    MacBook Air 13 2009|HP DV6-3057TX|955BE|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Kingston SSD 64GB|Seasonic S12II 620W|HD6970 aka unlocked Sapphire HD6950 2GB|NZXT Gamma|CM Hyper 212 EVO|Corsair Vengeance 8GB |WD Red 2TB|Dell ST2220L
    iPhone 4 32GB

  7. #7
    Human Spambot
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NCR
    Posts
    3,976

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    do not use WD Green in raid configuration.they have a high failure rate when put in RAID configuration.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

  8. #8
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143 View Post
    Reliability is top requirement. I was thinking to RAID 2*WD AV-GP series 2TB drives for safety and no data-loss
    If by any change you are using Windows 8, use Storage Spaces feature.

    I am using it with WD 2TB EARX models.

    see the below link for some performance benchmarks
    http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...ml#post1842600
    i5 760 | Intel DH55TC | CM Hyper 212 EVo | Strontium 4 GB X 3 | OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB | WD Caviar Green 2 TB (WD20EARX) X 4 | Acer S231HL | Corsair HX650 | CM Storm Stryker | Windows 8 Pro | Logitech K120 | Logitech G400 | Razer Goliathus - Omgea Control Edition | CanoScan LiDE 110

  9. #9
    Constructed New Rig..!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by leelaprasad View Post
    If by any change you are using Windows 8, use Storage Spaces feature.

    I am using it with WD 2TB EARX models.

    see the below link for some performance benchmarks
    http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...ml#post1842600
    Not using Windows 8. But can similar be done in Win 7 or may be via any third party app?

    Well after negative reviews and comments about AV-GP I searched more and landed on WD Red drives. 2TB model is available for 7210 @ theitdepot. However I m unsure about how good price is this for a Red drive.
    MacBook Air 13 2009|HP DV6-3057TX|955BE|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Kingston SSD 64GB|Seasonic S12II 620W|HD6970 aka unlocked Sapphire HD6950 2GB|NZXT Gamma|CM Hyper 212 EVO|Corsair Vengeance 8GB |WD Red 2TB|Dell ST2220L
    iPhone 4 32GB

  10. #10
    Penguins are stupid! tkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    9,539

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143 View Post
    Hello pals,

    I need total of 2TB of internal storage. To minimize risk of data loss in case of HDD failure i m considering 4 drives of 500GB.

    Already I m using WD blue 500 GB (september 2008purchase) and 1TB Green drive(april 2009 purchase). I m satisfied with Blue drive but Green drive is showing some jhols. It is detected in BIOS and can be seen when PC is started but in couple of mins it would disappear.
    Hence for now I need total 2TB of new HDD space.

    I need most reliable drives to avert data loss.

    Open to suggestions of different types. Few things might help while suggesting 1) Around 1200GB of data is used ocassionaly only and 2) For system drive I m having a 60GB SSD 3) In my mind image of WD is better than Seagate because I dint have to RMA WD drive in last 6-7 years, which might be just an illusion 4) In current product line of WD i m inclined towards WD Black drives but totally clueless of their reliability or failure rate.

    PS: in my mind I was thinking to get 4 x WD black 500GB drives but not able to find any.

    Any self experience with this type of situation will also be helpful.
    If you want to go for raid, you can get 2x1TB drives, 4xRAID are useful in data centers, the chances of 2 drives to go bad simultaneously are astronomically low, specially if you keep an eye on their SMART status regularly.

    For best results I recommend WD Reds, these are designed for RAID use.
    Project Halcyon V3 - 2600k, Z68Vpro, Sapphire R9280X DualX, Vengeance 8GB
    Dell Inspiron 15R N5520- i3 3110M @ 2.4GHz, 6GB 1600MHz DDR3, HD 7670M
    Project Odeon V2 - LG G2, Panasonic FZ150, Razer Ferox, Razer Deathadder

  11. #11
    Constructed New Rig..!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by tkin View Post
    If you want to go for raid, you can get 2x1TB drives, 4xRAID are useful in data centers, the chances of 2 drives to go bad simultaneously are astronomically low, specially if you keep an eye on their SMART status regularly.

    For best results I recommend WD Reds, these are designed for RAID use.
    Yes I have almost finalized on 2*2TB in RAID 1. WD Red drives are under my consideration but not sure is their pricing correct at theitdepot where 2TB is costing 7210.
    MacBook Air 13 2009|HP DV6-3057TX|955BE|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Kingston SSD 64GB|Seasonic S12II 620W|HD6970 aka unlocked Sapphire HD6950 2GB|NZXT Gamma|CM Hyper 212 EVO|Corsair Vengeance 8GB |WD Red 2TB|Dell ST2220L
    iPhone 4 32GB

  12. #12
    BMG ftw!! d6bmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    6,678

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143 View Post
    Yes I have almost finalized on 2*2TB in RAID 1. WD Red drives are under my consideration but not sure is their pricing correct at theitdepot where 2TB is costing 7210.
    What's wrong with the pricing of WD Red? In my opinion they are already offering excellent pricing on WD Red.

  13. #13
    Constructed New Rig..!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by d6bmg View Post
    What's wrong with the pricing of WD Red? In my opinion they are already offering excellent pricing on WD Red.
    I m not saying anything is wrong or something but I m just confirming before buying them that I m not paying extra and somewhere else they are available for cheaper or anything else.
    MacBook Air 13 2009|HP DV6-3057TX|955BE|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Kingston SSD 64GB|Seasonic S12II 620W|HD6970 aka unlocked Sapphire HD6950 2GB|NZXT Gamma|CM Hyper 212 EVO|Corsair Vengeance 8GB |WD Red 2TB|Dell ST2220L
    iPhone 4 32GB

  14. #14
    BMG ftw!! d6bmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    6,678

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143 View Post
    I m not saying anything is wrong or something but I m just confirming before buying them that I m not paying extra and somewhere else they are available for cheaper or anything else.
    WD Red isn't radially available here in India. So pricing difference might be there.

  15. #15
    Constructed New Rig..!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    Got one WD Red 2TB for 7300 from Primeabgb....right now got 1 only due to fin crunch..
    MacBook Air 13 2009|HP DV6-3057TX|955BE|Asus M5A97 R2.0|Kingston SSD 64GB|Seasonic S12II 620W|HD6970 aka unlocked Sapphire HD6950 2GB|NZXT Gamma|CM Hyper 212 EVO|Corsair Vengeance 8GB |WD Red 2TB|Dell ST2220L
    iPhone 4 32GB

  16. #16
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: New HDD confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143 View Post
    Not using Windows 8. But can similar be done in Win 7 or may be via any third party app?

    Well after negative reviews and comments about AV-GP I searched more and landed on WD Red drives. 2TB model is available for 7210 @ theitdepot. However I m unsure about how good price is this for a Red drive.
    It can be done using third party apps like FlexRaid, or you can use the Raid Controller on your MB, After trying all i ended up with Storage Spaces as it is easy to configure
    i5 760 | Intel DH55TC | CM Hyper 212 EVo | Strontium 4 GB X 3 | OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB | WD Caviar Green 2 TB (WD20EARX) X 4 | Acer S231HL | Corsair HX650 | CM Storm Stryker | Windows 8 Pro | Logitech K120 | Logitech G400 | Razer Goliathus - Omgea Control Edition | CanoScan LiDE 110

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Close