Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Alienware M14X R1 HDD Upgrade
04-07-2012, 01:38 AM #1
- Join Date
- Jan 2012
Alienware M14X R1 HDD Upgrade
I posted a similar thread earlier, but somehow it got deleted IDK why.
I have an Alienware M14x R1 with Intel i7 2720QM, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB HDD, nVidia GT555M 3.0GB.
Its warranty is about to expire by the end of this month i.e. July 2012, but I am going to buy a 1 year extension/upgrade this week.
I wanted to upgrade its HDD so I asked Dell for the details. They are providing me with a 750GB 7200RPM HDD upgrade to me for about 13,500 bucks, and the technician will only install the new HDD, but not clone the original one, so I will have to re-install Windows and all my programs again, which will take a ton of time. I was thinking that 13.5 grand for a 750GB HDD is way too steep, cause you can find higher capacity drives (upto 1TB) for lower prices.
So my main problem is, can I get a compatible HDD for AW M14X with capacity more than 750 GB easily, cause 500GB simply doesn't cut it, and external HDD's are not an option because all my school project work, school related programs etc require huge space and I need them handy.
I did some research on different websites but they were not really helpful, as most talked about replacing my optical disc drive with another drive to boost my storage capacity, but that too is not a viable option.
So can anyone help out on this one, with the following queries/problems:-
1. What speed to AW-M14x HDDs run? SATA 6GB/s or SATA 3GB/s ?
2. Can you recommend a replacement HDD for my system?
3. Will I will be able to retain all my files, programs, and games and Windows (obviously ) by cloning my original HDD to a new one, and eliminate the need to reinstall ANYTHING again?
4. Can I use my original HDD as an external USB HDD after swapping it out with a new one? If yes, then how?
5. Can anyone recommend a good, easy to use cloning software, with easy instructions and how to use it properly? (I am a bit of noob on this matter, so please don't mind)
6. Will I still retain warranty (including the eligibility for the extension I mentioned earlier) on my system after the upgrade?
7. How do I install the new HDD onto my system?
Sorry if the post is too long, but guys I really need help on this one!
Thanks in Advance!!
By xOvErClOcKeRx in forum Laptops and NetbooksReplies: 11Last Post: 10-08-2012, 04:16 PM
By vipultibrewal in forum Laptops and NetbooksReplies: 6Last Post: 17-04-2012, 06:50 PM
By diwakarchopra in forum Laptops and NetbooksReplies: 0Last Post: 29-01-2012, 02:32 AM
By potroast in forum Laptops and NetbooksReplies: 1Last Post: 27-05-2011, 11:01 PM