UPS problem in low voltage, power fluctuation, PC getting restart.. - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UPS problem in low voltage, power fluctuation, PC getting restart..

Default Re: UPS problem in low voltage, power fluctuation, PC getting restart..

is it necessary to buy UPS+PSU? both are costly...
    Popular Gadget Deals
    ►► ◄◄

Exclamation Re: UPS problem in low voltage, power fluctuation, PC getting restart..

Quote Originally Posted by kool View Post
    If you want safety of ur system, then ya nahi to
    Rules !!

DropBox: Get .5GB free

Spoiler:

Vaio CB35
    Prized possession
    Asus U32U ATH M20 Asus RT-N13U B1 Razer DA Young Duos

Vaio CB35 Review

How fast can you type?

Quote Originally Posted by axes2t2
    Before working on a master piece you have to first master the pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenida View Post
    Specs:-
    Apc 650VA
    Apc 600VA

Apc 650VA- Output Power Capacity
    Output Power Capacity
    390 Watts / 650 VA
    Max Configurable Power
    390 Watts / 650 VA
    Nominal Output Voltage
    230V
    Output Frequency (sync to mains)
    47 - 63 Hz
    Waveform Type
    Stepped approximation to a sinewave
    Output Connections
    (1) India 2/3-pin 6A (Surge Protection)
    (3) India 2/3-pin 6A (Battery Backup)

With automatic Shutdown software

Cost- Rs 2K i think.
    why the hell this APC can only handle fluctuation compare to other brands like INTEX & MICROTEK?
    ►► ◄◄

Thumbs up Re: UPS problem in low voltage, power fluctuation, PC getting restart..

why the hell this APC can only handle fluctuation compare to other brands like INTEX & MICROTEK?
    Because of their quality build and better surge protection, thus better protection from voltage spikes/fluctuation.
    Rules !!

Spoiler:

Vaio CB35
    Prized possession

Vaio CB35 Review

How fast can you type?

Quote Originally Posted by dashing.sujay View Post
    Because of their quality build and better surge protection, thus better protection from voltage spikes/fluctuation.
    can only UPS solve my problem?

►► ◄◄

APC is like Corsair,Seasonic,and FSP in psu and Intex,Microtek and IBALL UPS is like Frontech and iball psu.
    [B]My Gizmos[/B] O_O
    [B]||Core i7 2600K | MSI Z68A GD80 | MSI GTX560Ti ||
    ||F&D A555U | Roccat Kave | Funbook | LG Optimus L9 (W) ||[/B]

Wise Old Owl

I can understand your desire to solve the problem without buying both a UPS and a PSU, especially as you have to ask your parents for the money. But there's no way anyone can answer that question with 100% certainty. There are simply too many unknown and unpredictable factors.

If I were to make an educated guess based on a combination of theory and practical experience, I'd say no, a UPS alone will not solve the problem completely. It may improve the situation to some extent but there will be days when the fluctuations are worse and you will still face problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenida View Post
    Better you consider APC 650Va ups.
    APC 600VA is enough for OP's needs.. If he has enough dough to spend n need extra backup he can go for 650VA..

u get wat u pay for...
    [B]i5 2500K - P8Z68-V - Venomous X - RipjawsX 8GB 1600Mhz CL8 - Plextor M3 PRO 128GB - 1TB Black - GTX 570 sonic platinum - CM M850 - HAF X - XONAR DX + Z906 - Dell U2412M - DSL 2750U - APC 1.1KVA[/B]

Right Off the Assembly Line

Useful answers will also say why and with numbers. For example, all computers must work perfectly fine even when voltage drops so low that incandescent bulbs are at less than 40% intensity. How often are your bulbs dimming that low? If not, then you are not suffering low voltage.

Many UPSes are so cheap as to trip into battery backup mode even on noise. Irrelevant anomalies can make the UPS act as if low voltage exists.

UPS power in battery backup mode is often the 'dirtiest' power in a house. UPS power can be so 'dirty' as to potentially harm small electric motors or power strip protectors. Because all electronics are so robust, 'dirty' UPS power is also ideal perfect power to all electronics.

Is that UPS power confusing power circuits inside a computer? If a UPS is doing its job, then yank the UPS power cord from a wall receptacle. The computer should work perfectly normal as it power always exists. If not, the UPS is causing problems. Remember, a UPS has a typical life expectancy of about three years. These things are made as cheaply as possible.

If a UPS protects from surges, then its spec sheets said so with a numbers for each type of surge. No such numbers were posted in that last list of specs. Did you overlook them? Or, more likely, the UPS (like most all plug-in UPSes) does not claim effective surge protection. That protection exists in advertising and subjective claims where lying is acceptable.

Your every question should be answered by quoting manufacturer spec numbers. Any reply without facts and numbers that says why should always be ignored as hearsay.

This UPS, that is also an approximation to a sine wave, outputs square waves with a large spike between those square waves. Power so 'dirty' as to be potentially harmful to small electric motors and power strip protectors. And yes, they did not lie. Because square waves and spikes are sums of sine waves. They hope you do not ask for numbers such as the frequency of each sine wave.

UPS has one function. To provide temporary and 'dirty' power during a blackout. Other anomalies are solved by other solutions. Every honest recommendation comes with facts and numbers that say why that really is a solution. No tech numbers is how to filter out the uninformed from those who actually learned the engineering.

Wise Old Owl

^Experience in forums and newsgroups has taught me that a too-technical answer to a non-technical person is either ignored or misinterpreted or both. For example, I explained in the simplest terms the role of the filter caps in the PSU, but it apparently flew right by the OP without registering in his mind.

When replying to a question in a forum, the answer should be tailored to a level that the OP can understand. I teach EE graduates in the practical application of the raw background knowledge they acquired in college, but judging from the OP's posts, an in-depth technical answer would be way over his head. For example, he's hardly in a position to monitor the light output of his bulbs and see if they drop down to 40%, or understand what a "dirty" power supply is without a lot of further explanation.

It's not uncommon to see inaccuracies and omissions in replies posted by people who are genuinely trying to help. In such cases, it's best to politely provide corrections and fill in the gaps rather than calling them "uninformed" or telling the OP to ignore them.
    Last edited by pimpom; 08-08-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Minor change of wording

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMind View Post
    APC 600VA is enough for OP's needs.. If he has enough dough to spend n need extra backup he can go for 650VA..

u get wat u pay for...
    i don't want extra backup, 5min. is enough for me, so i can shutdown my PC. Is that only difference in 650va that it gives extra backup time?

By d way m living in apartment in the main area of Patna, but due to increasing new apartments, malls, shopping complex power fluctuations has been increased. everybody is using 2-3 AC's in one flat.

Quote Originally Posted by westom View Post
    Useful answers will also say why and with numbers. For example, all computers must work perfectly fine even when voltage drops so low that incandescent bulbs are at less than 40% intensity. How often are your bulbs dimming that low? If not, then you are not suffering low voltage.

UPS has one function. To provide temporary and 'dirty' power during a blackout. Other anomalies are solved by other solutions. Every honest recommendation comes with facts and numbers that say why that really is a solution. No tech numbers is how to filter out the uninformed from those who actually learned the engineering.
    Sir,
    describe in simple language.. and, Bulb or CFL light not decrease, its just fluctuate at every 30 min.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpom View Post
    I can understand your desire to solve the problem without buying both a UPS and a PSU, especially as you have to ask your parents for the money. But there's no way anyone can answer that question with 100% certainty. There are simply too many unknown and unpredictable factors.

If I were to make an educated guess based on a combination of theory and practical experience, I'd say no, a UPS alone will not solve the problem completely. It may improve the situation to some extent but there will be days when the fluctuations are worse and you will still face problems.
    Ok sir, finally going to buy both PSU+UPS. u teach to EEE students, then u must be right. By d way, today i just plugged only CPU to intex UPS and Monitor to main socket. Now its working fine, but still dont wanna take risk.
    ►► ◄◄

Wise Old Owl

Ok sir, finally going to buy both PSU+UPS. u teach to EEE students, then u must be right.
    A slight correction: The term EE is often used in the west to lump electrical engineers and electronics engineers together. I sometimes train EE graduates after they have received their degrees.

The training is not a full-time profession. I conduct a six-month course when I have time or when I'm requested by some agencies or government departments. Often the EEs train together with non-graduates.

I don't know everything about computers, electronics or electrical engineering, but when I make a post, I try to make sure that what I say is accurate and helpful. I really shouldn't keep talking about myself, but I felt that the previous poster's comments needed some clarification.

Oh, and you don't have to call me 'Sir'. I'm just an ordinary member of the forum.

i don't want extra backup, 5min. is enough for me, so i can shutdown my PC. Is that only difference in 650va that it gives extra backup time?
    Yes..
    [B]i5 2500K - P8Z68-V - Venomous X - RipjawsX 8GB 1600Mhz CL8 - Plextor M3 PRO 128GB - 1TB Black - GTX 570 sonic platinum - CM M850 - HAF X - XONAR DX + Z906 - Dell U2412M - DSL 2750U - APC 1.1KVA[/B]

Right Off the Assembly Line

describe in simple language.. and, Bulb or CFL light not decrease, its just fluctuate at every 30 min.
    If voltage drops low enough to affect electronics, then VCR or microwave clocks would be reset with each incandescent bulb flicker. If not, voltage was not too low. Low voltage also does not cause electronics damage. Is only an inconvenience or a threat to unsaved data.

Does incandescent bulb dim to 40% intensity? Any 13 year old can answer that. If bulbs are dimming that much, then motorized appliances (not electronics) may be at risk. And that building might have a serious human safety issue. Never cure symptoms. Always solve the problem.

Do the unplugged UPS test. Informed consumers do that to confirm that a UPS is actually doing anything.

And finally, no plug-in UPS does that surge protection. Does not claim to. Cannot possibly do it. That protection is a popular myth often promoted by those without electrical knowledge. Even the manufacturer does not claim that protection.

UPS has one function. To provide temporary and 'dirty' power during a blackout. Other anomalies are solved by other solutions. A useful recommendation comes with facts and numbers that say why that really is a solution. No tech numbers is how to filter out the uninformed from those who actually learned the engineering. You have asked a technical question. Any answer without numbers is best ignored as a myth.

I replied to ur PM, i suppose you didnt went through it. Please go through it. Yeah you'll need it both of them.

^Experience in forums and newsgroups has taught me that a too-technical answer to a non-technical person is either ignored or misinterpreted or both. For example, I explained in the simplest terms the role of the filter caps in the PSU, but it apparently flew right by the OP without registering in his mind.

When replying to a question in a forum, the answer should be tailored to a level that the OP can understand. I teach EE graduates in the practical application of the raw background knowledge they acquired in college, but judging from the OP's posts, an in-depth technical answer would be way over his head. For example, he's hardly in a position to monitor the light output of his bulbs and see if they drop down to 40%, or understand what a "dirty" power supply is without a lot of further explanation.

It's not uncommon to see inaccuracies and omissions in replies posted by people who are genuinely trying to help. In such cases, it's best to politely provide corrections and fill in the gaps rather than calling them "uninformed" or telling the OP to ignore them.
    Actually, some lines bounced me too , especially the dirty thing!
    Rules !!

Spoiler:

Vaio CB35
    Prized possession

Vaio CB35 Review

How fast can you type?

I replied to ur PM, i suppose you didnt went through it. Please go through it. Yeah you'll need it both of them.

me tooooooo
    ►► ◄◄

Wise Old Owl

OK, here's an explanation in simple terms: An ideal mains voltage would be one in which the voltage changes constantly, following a pure sine wave. A perfect sine wave does not exist in practice because there is always some distortion of the waveform. But the power generated at a public power house is a good approximation of a sine wave. This is called a "clean" wave because it follows the smooth shape of a trigonometric sine curve as plotted on paper or displayed on a screen.

However, due to various factors, the AC voltage picks up other waveforms on its way to the consumer and the combined waveform is no longer so smooth. There may be distortions and spikes to the wave shape. That is what is called a dirty supply.

Also, the AC output generated by a common UPS is not a sine wave to begin with. So it's also "dirty".

I'm pressed for time right now. Later, I'll do CAD simulations of clean and distorted (dirty) waveforms and post their images here.

OK, here's an explanation in simple terms: An ideal mains voltage would be one in which the voltage changes constantly, following a pure sine wave. A perfect sine wave does not exist in practice because there is always some distortion of the waveform. But the power generated at a public power house is a good approximation of a sine wave. This is called a "clean" wave because it follows the smooth shape of a trigonometric sine curve as plotted on paper or displayed on a screen.

However, due to various factors, the AC voltage picks up other waveforms on its way to the consumer and the combined waveform is no longer so smooth. There may be distortions and spikes to the wave shape. That is what is called a dirty supply.

Also, the AC output generated by a common UPS is not a sine wave to begin with. So it's also "dirty".

I'm pressed for time right now. Later, I'll do CAD simulations of clean and distorted (dirty) waveforms and post their images here.
    Thnx, now its more clear btw you did Elect engg ? I'm from CS field, nd have very low understanding in electrical field , although i've interest in it, i.e. how actually they work technically
    and moreover after reading your answer it seems, " yaar, lagta hai maine aisa padha(or dekha ) tha kahin "
    Rules !!

Spoiler:

Vaio CB35
    Prized possession

Vaio CB35 Review

How fast can you type?

Guys,
    just nw i bought APC 600VA, searched in more than 20 shops, and finally found in last shop for Rs.2000. When i checked for backup mode by switching off from "socket", it went to battery mode with low beep sound. And then i checked by switching off "Mains power" then first my whole house power went to inverter mode(SU-KAM 800va), then i went to my room, and my PC restarted.

By the way CORSAIR brand is not available in Patna, So anybody tell me from where i can get ? Which online store is best? One of service center of DELL said, may be earthing problem in home.
    ►► ◄◄

Wise Old Owl

Thnx, now its more clear btw you did Elect engg ? I'm from CS field, nd have very low understanding in electrical field , although i've interest in it, i.e. how actually they work technically
    and moreover after reading your answer it seems, " yaar, lagta hai maine aisa padha(or dekha ) tha kahin "
    I'm in electronics. I work at home and spend most of my time these days in custom designing and construction. No, I haven't done any engineering course. I'm entirely self-taught. I started teaching myself electronics when I was doing B.Sc. in college and really really worked hard at it instead of just messing around at the hobbyist level.

I don't speak Hindi, so I called a friend and asked him to translate what you said. I think it means something like "Oh, I feel as if I've known (or seen) you before". Is that correct? Maybe you've read some of my previous posts and recognized the style of writing.

Guys,
    just nw i bought APC 600VA, searched in more than 20 shops, and finally found in last shop for Rs.2000. When i checked for backup mode by switching off from "socket", it went to battery mode with low beep sound. And then i checked by switching off "Mains power" then first my whole house power went to inverter mode(SU-KAM 800va), then i went to my room, and my PC restarted.

By the way CORSAIR brand is not available in Patna, So anybody tell me from where i can get ? Which online store is best? One of service center of DELL said, may be earthing problem in home.
    ►► ◄◄

You have to recharge a newly bought UPS for multiple hours before it gets fully charged! At least for 4-6 hrs i suppose. And for online buying, you can check out
    theitwares.com
    letsbuy.com
    flipkart.com
    lynx-india.com
    Last edited by dashing.sujay; 10-08-2011 at 02:15 AM. Reason: post changed itself :-?
    Rules !!

Spoiler:

Vaio CB35
    Prized possession

Vaio CB35 Review

How fast can you type?

Exclamation Re: UPS problem in low voltage, power fluctuation, PC getting restart..

You have to recharge a newly bought UPS for multiple hours before it gets fully charged! At least for 4-6 hrs i suppose. And for online buying, you can check out
    theitwares.com
    letsbuy.com
    flipkart.com
    lynx-india.com
    Oh, i didn't charged till nw.. by the way how is this site??
    TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply
    Costing Rs.2250+Rs150 or should i go to ebay.in ??

TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply
    Itwares are reliable.. U can get it..

Lightbulb Re: UPS problem in low voltage, power fluctuation, PC getting restart..

And for online buying, you can check out
    theitwares.com
    letsbuy.com
    flipkart.com
    lynx-india.com

i already mentioned it!!
    Rules !!

Spoiler:

Vaio CB35
    Prized possession

Vaio CB35 Review

How fast can you type?

Question Re: UPS problem in low voltage, power fluctuation, PC getting restart..

i already mentioned it!!
    OK, plz dont get annoyed.. last time i'm asking, should i buy this na? CORSAIR CX430 and there is another CX430 V2, what is the diff b/w them?

One more help i need, can anybody provide me disount coupon for EBAY.IN? here i got, but i'm unable to use. Check this out.. Ebay Discount Coupon
    ►► ◄◄

Read the first page of it.... Corsair CX430 V2 Power Supply Review

OK, plz dont get annoyed.. last time i'm asking, should i buy this na? CORSAIR CX430 and there is another CX430 V2, what is the diff b/w them?

One more help i need, can anybody provide me disount coupon for EBAY.IN? here i got, but i'm unable to use. Check this out.. Ebay Discount Coupon
    Are, am not getting annoyed at all, its just that i llike that smiley very much
    And about ebay discount coupon, i can say that go for the one which costs u less (applyin coupon in case of ebay, if it works), as both the sites are trustable.
    Rules !!

Spoiler:

Vaio CB35
    Prized possession

Vaio CB35 Review

How fast can you type?

Talking Re: UPS problem in low voltage, power fluctuation, PC getting restart..

Are, am not getting annoyed at all, its just that i llike that smiley very much
    And about ebay discount coupon, i can say that go for the one which costs u less (applyin coupon in case of ebay, if it works), as both the sites are trustable.
    he he he... just nw i recharged my cell with Rs.55 and money deducted but failed recharge, and message popped: "Due to technical problem failed to recharge, money will refunded within 8 days" and at the bottom i received ebay discount code 10% flat off on any products.!! yay yay...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMind View Post
    Read the first page of it.... Corsair CX430 V2 Power Supply Review
    So u tell me Mr. MegaMind, both are same? I'm not getting those technical language in that page. Just suggest me last time, in few hours i'm going to buy thru ebay.in with 10% off
    ►► ◄◄

both are same? I'm not getting those technical language in that page. Just suggest me last time, in few hours i'm going to buy thru ebay.in with 10% off
    Go for it.. the V2 has ~3% higher efficiency @100% load due to the presence of active PFC transistors.. For ur rig there wont be any difference..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast