Apple's iPhone 5 does not live up to expectations, poll reveals
It’s that time of week again, where we reveal our previous ThinkDigit Weekly Poll results! Last week, we’d asked you “Does the Apple iPhone 5 live up to your expectations?” We’ve received more than 700 votes, and would like to thank you, our readers, for sharing your views on the subject!
The Apple iPhone 5 was one of the most awaited personal technology revelations of 2012, and many of us, Apple fans or not, were looking forward to the unveiling of the latest generation smartphone from the fruity giant.
With that level of expectation for the iPhone 5, it is quite understandable that there would be some disappointment after the cat was let out of the bag. However, while Apple has followed the trend of making their products slightly slimmer and lighter through each iteration, many of us lamented the fact that this time, those seemed to be the only improvements.
To be fair, Apple did update the chipset powering the iPhone, did give it a better 8MP iSight camera, a larger display, and of course, last but not the least, a brand new dock connector! Was that enough though? iOS 6, possibly the biggest change, was announced back at WWDC, and will be coming to the iPhone 4 and 4S in its entirety – so does it really count as an iPhone 5 feature?
The iPhone 4S was only an incremental update over the iPhone 4, and that progression was reflected in the naming scheme chosen. The iPhone 5, by that same logic, should have truly been a next-generation device from the company - similar to what we saw with the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4. Instead, we have a phone that is virtually indistinguishable from its predecessor on the outside, albeit, much slimmer, at a startling 7.6mm.
To ascertain what our readers felt about the iPhone 5, we gave them two options to the question. They were: “Yes, Apple has truly refined the phone and OS,” and “No, I had expected exciting new features.”
The results are overwhelmingly one-sided, pointing clearly to the conclusion that most of our readers felt the device did not match up to their expectations from the fruity giant. 79%, or 570 readers, said they had expected exciting new features from the device. The remaining 21%, or 149 readers, felt the iPhone 5 was an adequate update to the iPhone family – perfecting the hardware and operating system.
Check out the results in graphical form below. You can also see previous ThinkDigit Weekly Poll results, here.
Do also share your views on this week’s poll, where we ask you your opinion on a popular product category – phablets, or smartphone-tablet hybrids as they are otherwise known. “Do you think phablets are convenient, all-in-one devices?” Navigate to our homepage to share your views.
Listed under tags :